Saturday 4 April 2015

Delirium Film Magazine Image

This is my progress in obtaining a suitable image for my film magazine cover. I wanted my image to be recognisable to the audience, and because the actress wouldn't be known to audience well, I decided to have the actress in character for the shoot. This also helps portray the horror theme of the issue.

I chose to use the weapon involved in some shots during the trailer of the film. Coupled with the extra mise-en-scene of the costume and make-up, portraying the possessed red eyes and the bruises, it presents this female with connotations of evil, which is a challenge of the typical old male villain conventions. This use of a murderous weapon helps contrast with the innocent and trance-like expression of the mother character, which hints her possessed state and creates an unnerving feeling for the audience. The use of the scissors shushing the audience is an action usually associated with children, suggesting their involvement in the film. It also creates the element of fear for the audience that they need to be quiet, possibly hiding from something or the character warning them not to scream.


I wanted to create a darker background behind the image, so I used Adobe Photoshop to remove the background so I manipulate the image to my own background.


However, I did use the editing tools on the Adobe Photoshop software to darken the image to present it as linking better to the horror theme. I also used the tools to make her eyes a more piercing blue, as it is the only blue to be involved on the cover page, to draw attention to her eyes. This relates to another intertitle in our trailer 'THE EYES ARE THE WINDOW TO THE SOUL', which relates to the possession involved in the plot. As this film magazine cover is another tool used to promote the film and it's trailer and the main promoter, I have tried to link the three pieces subtly when it is appropriate.


No comments:

Post a Comment