Friday 24 April 2015

Finished InDesign Film Magazine

This is my completed InDesign horror issue cover of a film magazine I have named 'FLICKS'. It is one of the three pieces I have created to promote our group's trailer 'DELIRIUM'. These three pieces would be our film trailer, my film poster and my film magazine.

The only additional editing I have made since my last draft are various tweaks to it's detail, such as ensuring the splash is clear and shortening the slashes at the bottom of the page to to make certain nothing is on the fade, which would ruin the effect and present the magazine cover as unprofessional and unrealistic.
Full Analysis:

The Masthead
For the magazine brand, I chose to use 'FLICKS' as it refers to cinemas, where films are premiered.

The Magazine's Tagline
I felt that the word 'BIGGEST' did not give the magazine's tagline the professional portrayal that would associate this magazine with success. Therefore I altered the word to 'LEADING', expressing how this magazine is ahead of any other.

The Main Image
The representation behind the mother character presented is to intrigue the audience as it is against stereotypes for a female mother-figure to be portrayed as the villain. This may help to stay in the audience's memory and therefore fulfill the purpose of the magazine cover, as a promotional device for the film to attract an audience for the film. The eyes are specifically the only aspect left blue, as a contrast to the red apparent on and around the character. This enhances the eyes and relates to an intertitle of the trailer 'The eyes are the window to the soul'. The blue can also have the connotation of ghosts and the supernatural. Both points help to convey the woman's possession by the evil spirit.

I wanted to portray her with dirt and more bruises to show the physical impact of the possession, as well as relating to bruised shots of her in the trailer of the film.

The object of the scissors is used as a prop in the image to relate to the murder weapon hinted in the trailer. Additionally with it being used to shush the audience, gives the character an unsettling yet memorable quality.I also edited blood dripping down the scissors as I felt the danger of her character wasn't portrayed as well as I had hoped. By adding the blood, it suggests to the audience that the scissors is a murder weapon and it portrays the true extent the character will go to in order to enact her revenge.

The Sell Lines
I changed the sell lines to contain information that is current and horror themed. This information was learnt from research I undertook to know information like which horror films were coming out soon after 'OCT 2015', which is the release date of our groups's horror film trailer. This creates a sense of realism of my magazine and presents it more as a professional media product. I used the colour scheme of red black and white to emphasize certain words within my sell likes like PREMIERE is shown to do.

The Quotation
The quotation of a review was added to perhaps influence the audience's first impressions of the film before they have viewed it, and encourage them to view it.

The Splash
I also used the same font and style of title used in my poster and our group's trailer to link it to the film more effectively. The title is also the one of the largest texts on the page, alongside the masthead. This is to emphasize it's importance in the issue as the main feature.

The Splash's Tagline
I changed the text underneath the splash, still using selling language like 'EXCLUSIVE' but instead involving the actress more and detailing a little about the feature. I also included language that related to the horror genre 'hair-raising', which reinforced the horror theme of the issue.

The Footer Text
Feedback on my poster was that the bottom section under the splash 'looks bare', so I researched other issues of film magazines and adapted the style of EMPIRE.

The Colour Scheme
The colour scheme was chosen specifically to relate to genre of film the issue was focusing on (horror), with connotations such as black representing death and evil, and red portraying danger and blood.

Conventional Details
The price shown on the cover is artificially inserted above a price tag so as to present the price I felt was appropriate for a film magazine. The price I settled on was £3.90 as the I had researched different brands of magazines and brands such as EMPIRE often vary their price from £3.70 to £3.99. Therefore I chose a price relatively in the middle of those that I have seen, yet slightly toward the higher end of the scale as my cover would be a halloween issue and therefore be one of the more special issues of the year.

I included various other conventional details, one of which would be the involvement of the brand's web address 'www.flicks.com'. As a modern magazine brand, the technophilic society we live in engages with many different media forms throughout their day, and so it is realistic for my magazine to mimic the strategy of presenting different media platforms of their brands. This means that their product is more accessible to a wider audience and target the younger audiences more effectively, as they are most commonly noted as being technophiles.

No comments:

Post a Comment